Get your UK university journey off to the best possible start with a pre-university course.
Education standards in the UK are high. To gain entry to an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme at a university here you need to meet strict entry requirements. If you’re an international student you’ll need to prove that you have reached a certain level of English language knowledge too.
If you need a little help meeting these requirements, don’t worry; there is plenty of support out there. University preparation courses are a great option for international students looking to improve their academic and language skills.
These courses have several benefits:
- Get the grades you need
- Courses are short – typically no longer than one year
- Boost your confidence before you begin more intensive study as part of a UK degree programme
- Get used to UK teaching and study methods
- Spend some time in the UK before your degree course, to get used to your new home, make friends and settle in
- Improve your English language skills before they’re put to the test at university
You’ll find a range of university preparation courses is available in the UK:
This is a one-year programme designed for those who have left high school and wish to begin an undergraduate degree programme at a British university. Foundation years combine learning about subjects that are closely related to your chosen degree programme, English language skills, and university study skills.
This ensures that you achieve the level of knowledge, confidence, and English language proficiency needed to succeed on an undergraduate degree course in the UK. Foundation year courses are ideal for international students who:
- Don’t have the right grades to qualify for entry into a British degree programme
- Don’t meet the English language requirements for entry into a UK degree course
- Simply want to strengthen or refresh their learning and ensure that they’re as confident as possible when beginning their degree programme
These university preparation courses have been created for students who already have a Bachelors degree, or equivalent, and who want to strengthen their learning by continuing on with a Masters degree. Pre-Masters preparation programmes combine English language training, research, presentation and study skills. GMAT classes are optional for those studying Business and Management.
Undergraduate Year 1 programmes
This is a course available at Bellerbys, which is equivalent to the first year of an undergraduate degree. It allows you to enter straight into the second year of a UK university degree once you’ve qualified.
The Undergraduate Year 1 in Business and Management prepares suitably qualified students to enter the UK higher education system with confidence. It provides UK university-level business teaching that’s specifically tailored to the needs of international students. The emphasis is on English language learning. On completion you can choose from a range of business-related degrees at one of 25 partner universities.
If you have the right grades to gain entry into the UK university study programme of your choice, but you haven’t quite reached the level of English learning that’s required, you can choose from a range of language-only university preparation courses.
- English Language Preparation Programme (ELPP) – this intensive English language course can be taken over one, two or three terms in the lead-up to further study. It ensures that you achieve the IELTS score you need to get into the UK degree programme of your choice. At Bellerbys it involves 25 hours of English language tuition per week, as well as examination preparation and skills classes.
- IELTS Express – an intensive six-week English language preparation course taught by experts at Bellerbys College, beginning in June/July each year. This is a standalone course that focuses on improving your IELTS score. It can help you increase your score by one full point on average, and by as much as two for exceptional students.